In this special we’re looking at the 6 biggest new roller-coasters that came to CA in 2011-2013. We’re counting Superman: Escape from Krypton too! Road Runner Express is not included, neither is Coast Rider since we just posted a re-cap of it in our Knott’s Update!
Let’s start with a graph! The graph below will show the scores we gave to the 6. These scores rate from 1-10. Below that, we’ll explain why we gave the scores, and what our thoughts are on the ride.
In case the bar diagram is not legible; Bar 1; Green Lantern: First Flight. Bar 2; Superman: Escape from Krypton. Bar 3; Manta. Bar 4; Superman Ultimate Flight. Bar 5; Gold Striker. Bar 6; Full Throttle.
Below you’ll find the quick explanations!
- Green Lantern: First Flight We’re not a fan of this Intamin Zac-Spin. The design is creative, but it tends to hurt a lot. It was a fun, crazy experience at first, but it started to hurt after a couple of times.
- Superman: Escape from Krypton Great make-over of the record breaker, now you can see the ground. Which not everyone likes, but it sure does go higher now! Although it’s a bit short, it’s still a fun ride that you can’t miss! Read about it’s history by clicking here.
- Manta Manta is a great family launch coaster, with 2 launches. Nicely themed waiting line, but just isn’t extreme. This is great for a family park like SeaWorld, but doesn’t live up to some of the bigger new rides. Read a more detailed article here.
- Superman Ultimate Flight Our new favorite! Crazy vertical twists, ‘hang’-time barrel-roll on a 150 ft. And amazing ejector time. This all combined with 3 launches. Read a full report here! We’ll be comparing this with Full Throttle later in this post, with more details about the ride!
- Gold Striker Definitely CA’s best woodie! Great with all the tunnels, head and arm choppers! A must-ride when at CGA! This woodie is the best coaster in the park with Flight Deck, and knocks Apocalypse and Roar over! Great ride, once again. Read the full, detailed Ride Review here.
- Full Throttle The world’s tallest and fastest Looping Coaster exceeded the expectations! Wonderful new triple launch ride with great ‘hang’-time, a Dive-Loop, and crazy ‘ejector’-time! Read the full review here. Below we’ll be comparing it to SUF!
Superman Ultimate Flight vs. Full Throttle!
Below you’ll see a graph comparing multiple mutual elements, or aspects, of the ride. These are our opinions, and opinions always differ. Therefore don’t take this too serious, you might think differently! Below the graph, you’ll find detailed explanations.
When looking at the triple launch, we choose SUF over FT solely because SUF’s backwards launch is better. They are both triple launches. But we found the backwards launch on FT a bit disappointing. When looking at the tunnels, FT was a let down to be quite honest. The trailer mad it seems extremely cool, but the tunnels is not really what we hoped for. Also the music is hard to hear when in the tunnel. SUF’s tunnel might not have music, but the blue lights, in the form of Superman shields turn on as you, the faster the train goes, the faster the light turn on. It does this for both forwards and backwards movements. The main decision for this rating came when we looked at the tunnels at nigh, and SUF is better. FT seems unfinished, hopefully the park will work on the effects soon! When looking at the trains, we honestly think both trains look kind of awkward, and the restraints hurt on the legs for long people. We honestly think that FT’s train with 3 coaches, 6 each, looks even more awkward than the 2 coaches on FT. Not a fan of either train, 3 by 4 would have worked better for SUF, and 4 by 4, or 5 by 4 would have looked better on FT if you ask us. Ejector is very similar, and really depends on the person. We just think that the ejector on SUF keeps going longer, while vertically spinning 180′ degrees, as where FT hits the breaks. The rarity of ‘Hang’-Time is the best on these 2 California Premier coasters! We love the ‘Hang’-Time equally much on both, and since they’re both combined with different inversions, we can’t choose! And when we look at the length of both rides, although both are pretty short, we’ll have to give it to FT. We love the compact-ness of SUF, but the launch mechanisms in different locations, and the winding track over the terrain on FT of course wins!
BOTH FULL THROTTLE AND SUPERMAN ULTIMATE FLIGHT ARE NOW EQUIPPED WITH SEAT-BELTS. READ ABOUT IT HERE.